Monday 22 October 2007

Conflict of Interest - the human interest story

So I went to Paris for 9 days, the first part of this being with members of an aforementioned non profit organisation. I was already staying on in Paris to see my Aunt and Uncle, but had mentioned that I might set up a few meetings for the profit making venture I work for who were based there for a couple of weeks, but hadn't really planned anything much...

People stopped talking to me. People ranted at me how it was unfair I got a free ticket to Paris to then do work. I got told I was skating on thin Ice. No kidding.

And then I read the following:
It has been mentioned before about committee members and POTENTIAL Conflict of Interest. The Charity Commission does have a position on this which will affect who we vote into the new and all subsequent committee.

The Charity Commission says that a committee should not have 50% or more of its members with a POTENTIAL Conflict of Interest.

This means for this year that anyone voted in from now (into komiti 2008) cannot be in this position, or someone currently voted into committee must remove that Potential Conflict. As 4 members already do the next 2-3 members voted in must not have the Potential conflict in order to hold the 50+%.

We will work on the details of what constitutes a conflict of interest for Ngati Ranana and present this at the SGM.


So my question is, do I pull out of the committee, or do I stay simply to make a stand against what some think is a conflict of interest and I simply see at a maximum of 10 hours work a week?

If it leads to the amount of politics and dramas my first weekend in Paris had, I'm out.

1 comment:

Lou said...

I wouldn't worry about it - in having the 50% rule they are acknowledging that there is an overlap of like-organisations in London and that thus there are bound to be people with potential conflict of interest through their involvement in both. If the individuals involved act like that again, try and speak to them directly and if that fails, then consider your options.