Monday 8 October 2007

The first step to true Academia...

Today, I took my first tutorials in a UK University, and saw the face of UK studentdom...

Yep, that's right folks. In what my supervisor calls a "sort of trial" for lecturing, I am the face of PPD2- Personal and Professional Development Studies for 2nd Year students, the majority of them studying either Events or Tourism Management. It is quite a nice wee course actually, all about employability AKA how to make your CV look good and sound even better in interviews. The dud bit is being their 'personal tutor' AKA University mother. Let's hope I don't get any tears, I'm sure the University has some sort of policy on that sorted, everything else appears to have one! But the best thing about it is the pay - 41 quid an hour, practically no preparation. So bye bye Royal Albert Hall, you've been great fun but my dissertation is waving in despair underneath a sea of work rosters. It is funny how once you are resigned to leaving a place (well, actually I've gone casual but let's not start in to the politics of being a casual in the box office's current climate) you subconsciously start to shut down all your passion for the place... well maybe it is just this place. It certainly isn't like that with BATS.

Anyway, after being up close with some 2nd year students (mainly female) I have the following observations:
- They wear a lot of make up
- They have no hobbies, other than drinking. Drinks of choice are mainly white wine and vodka
- They are fashion victims (think leggings, skinny jeans, tunics and long necklaces)
- They don't pronounce their consonants enough

But at least they appear to have some form of intelligence in their skulls. Three cheers for not having first years!

So yes. I will keep you posted with their (and my) progress. And if it goes well, fingers crossed I might more 'visiting lecturer' work. As long as it pays well and keeps me entertained I'm happy.

2 comments:

Lou said...

£41 an hour!! High fives!!

Lottchen said...

Yes, high fives for the pay!

I have made the same observations about 2nd years, as I take a number of classes with them from the great age gap of about four years. And I too have observed that most of them do not have hobbies, apart from drinking. However, they seem to work far harder than I did then, or most of my friends. So they do have something going for them.